Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Picked Last for Gym Class

Surprise! I am now the junior high P.E. teacher! Who would have guessed? I found out that they have not had a P.E. teacher for the 5 junior high classes since school started, so I volunteered. I always thought being a P.E. teacher would be fun. Today was my first day as an official P.E. teacher. I had two periods of it today. I just taught them some basic warm ups and stretches, which they thought they were SO funny. They were giggling and laughing and shouting the whole time. I almost went hoarse from yelling over them. Most of the noise was coming from those who forgot their p.e. kits (i.e. p.e. uniform) today. They thought everyone else looked hilarious running with high knees, doing lunges, etc. I have to admit, they did look funny. Especially those who were somehow turning their stretches into dance moves. These kids have such a sense of humor. I am really going to enjoy P.E. It will certainly be an adventure.

I looked over the p.e. syllabus for each level this morning, and found them quite amusing. The first subject I am supposed to teach to JSS 1 (7th grade) is pole vaulting. If anyone has any ideas for how I can teach pole vaulting without any supplies, please fill me in. Ha ha. I also am supposed to teach rhythmic dancing, javelin, shot put, wresting, gymnastics, high jump, tennis, ping-pong... I laughed as I turned through the pages trying to imagine me teaching wrestling or rhythmic dancing. I may modify that a bit.... football (soccer), volleyball, basketball, running, ultimate Frisbee, sound more manageable. I am excited, but at the same time realize its going to be a bit of a tough crowd. Hopefully my summers of directing sports camps for Skyhawks will come in handy. I only see each of the five classes once during the week, I wish it were more often. I feel I have the best of both worlds, teaching both p.e. and social studies!

I had the brilliant idea last night of doing reading intervention during the school day. I am not sure why it hadn't previously occurred to me that I could pull students out of their classes for reading tutoring like Title 1 or lab classes in the US. I am going to coordinate with teachers to pull out a few students from their class during their "library" or reading teaching periods. I am going to focus on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade students. That way they have intervention early enough to proceed to the next level with proficient skills. My school schedule is quickly becoming full. And with such a variety of roles. I certainly don't mind that though. It is fun to have variety in my responsibilities. I go from teaching social studies, to organizing the library, to reading intervention, to teaching P.E. all between 8:00 and 3:15. I work with students from 2nd grade to 9th grade through the course of the day. Life is certainly never dull! Good thing Ma Millicent now sends me a lunch every day in a cute little green box with a spoon, I don't have time to go make something!

1 comment:

  1. They could use each other as the 'pole'. Also, I SO wish I could be in your rhythmic dancing class...that will be one NO ONE will EVER skip!

    ReplyDelete