Friday, July 9, 2010

One Step at a Time

I have written several times about my dear and devoted Ebenezer.  There are moments when my heart hurts I just love him so much, and moments when I want to cry with exasperation over him.  There are times I am so frustrated by his behavior and disrespect because I want better for him, and know that he knows better.  There are also days when I am overwhelmed with his ability to love and learn.  For many months I have been counseling him on his behavior, and monitoring his progress.  He is constantly at my side, so I spend a lot of time with him each day.  He is preciously loyal.  There are days when I get discouraged that we are back sliding and that his anger is overcoming him.  Not too many days ago I had to physically restrain him from entering a house where he was trying to beat up a couple of girls that had been teasing him.  But today I praise God for baby steps.  I praise God for a heart that desires change.  Transformation takes time.  But it is beautiful to see small steps forward. 

Of his own initiative today, Ebenezer gave me a prayer he wanted me to type for him so that could read it every morning.  I almost cried as I read his words.  I will share with you just one part of it:

God please help me to be respectful to my parents and the people around me.  God bless me and guide me to forgive my brothers and sisters.  God please help me to stop becoming angry easily.  Thank you God for what you are doing for me and my family.  Father bless my family and bless the Village of Hope.  Thank you for the food that you have been giving me.  Thank you for the water you have been giving me.  I love you God and I know that you will help me to be a good boy.  Thank you God for sending your only son to die for me.  Thank you for listening to my prayer.

I praise God that it is in his heart to overcome his anger and disobedience.  I love that his is thankful for having clean water to drink and food to eat each day, as so many here do not.  God please answer his prayer.  Today and everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Chels, I love this. Sounds like he really is making some changes. I love Ebenezer and will be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is working through you, in changing his heart. I'll be praying for Ebenezer and his sweet mentor.

    ReplyDelete